Monday, June 06, 2011

My June schedule and thoughts about the future

I have a busy two weeks ahead of me and hope that I'll see some of you.
  • June 9, 8:40-9:15 a.m.,  New York Archives Conference (NYAC), Saratoga Springs, NY - Plenary - “Convergence & Sustainability: Why Our Future is Bright”
  • June 11, 9:00-10:30 a.m., SLA Board of Directors Open Meeting (participant), Pennsylvania Convention Center, Philadelphia, PA 
  • June 12-15, Special Libraries Association Annual Conference (SLA) (attending), Pennsylvania Convention Center, Philadelphia, PA
I have been in several conversations over the last year about the future of libraries and the information profession.  My talk at NYAC will build upon some of those conversations and the thinking that is going on in various sectors.  With everything that we've experiences in the last two years, our focus has become focused on the short term (now through 2 years).  Several conversations are focusing on the next 10 years, yet I believe that we need to look 20 years into the future and what we want to see at that point in time, then decide what we can do now in order to make that vision a reality.  If you will be attending NYAC, be prepared to be challenged in your thinking and attitude!

No comments: